Customer: Network Rail
Network Rail approached PLS with an interesting challenge. Their depot in York processes 100-200 train wheelsets daily, using manual loading/unloading operations. PLS was asked to design a fully automatic system attached to a FLT, thus reducing dramatically operation times and risk of accidents.
Our design team, in close collaboration with Network Rail, developed a solution based on two complementary mechanisms integrated in a lifting beam.
The main features of this attachment are:
- Pin-slot mechanism reciprocates retraction/extension of the actuators
- Sliding actuators adjustable to suit different wheel types
- Catch-index mechanism holds actuators in position
- Interface parts made of polymeric material avoid damage to coating
- All sacrificial parts designed for easy replacement